Monday, January 09, 2006

1975 vs 2005

I (and several friends) turned 30 in 2005. One of them (*Sherry*) sent this to me today... I've seen this email before, but it never had my birthyear in it. I always laughed at them...before!!! :D And YES! I do feel old!

1975 vs 2005

1975: Long hair
2005: Longing for hair

1975: KEG
2005: EKG

1975: Acid rock
2005: Acid reflux

1975: Moving to California because it's cool
2005: Moving to California because it's warm

1975: Trying to look like Marlon Brando or Liz Taylor
2005: Trying NOT to look like Marlon Brando or Liz Taylor

1975: Seeds and stems
2005: Roughage

1975: Hoping for a BMW
2005: Hoping for a BM

1975: Rolling Stones
2005: Kidney Stones

1975: Being called into the principal's office
2005: Calling the principal's office

1975: Curse the system
2005: Upgrade the system

1975: Disco
2005: Costco (or Osco!)

1975: Parents begging you to get your hair cut
2005: Children begging you to get their heads shaved

1975: Passing the drivers' test
2005: Passing the vision test

Like hearing that wasn't bad enough... Each year the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin puts together a list to try to give the faculty a sense of the mindset of this year's incoming freshmen. Here's this year's list:

The people who entered college this fall were born in 1987.
(And I've changed some of their diapers!!!!!!!)

They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.
Their lifetime has always included AIDS.
Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.
The CD was introduced the year they were born.
They have always had an answering machine.
They have always had cable.
They cannot fathom not having a remote control.
Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.
Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.
They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.
They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.
They never heard: "Where's the Beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel", or "de plane, Boss, de plane".
They have no idea who J.R. was and could care less he was shot.
McDonald's never came in styrofoam containers.
They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.
Do you feel old yet? YES!

10 Comments:

Blogger orangepulpfilms said...

i was born in 1987 :)

funny stuff, thank you.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

Have I changed your diaper? :D

1:36 AM  
Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

Wow, too funny .....now I really feel old though. Thanks for coming by my site today.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Flinger said...

HI! I saw your comment on my Thursday Thirteen and had to come over to say hi.

I turned thirty last year, too! And, as a college prof of those freshman entering college, they are so friggin' young!! But, uh, yea. I feel old. As if I needed help (the gray hair bits are the real tip off) ;-)

4:05 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Wait until you are MY age.....I am old enough to be your mother!
Thanks for stopping by my site. I will be visiting you again too!

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Karin said...

There's something sad about not having had popcorn that wasn't cooked in a microwave you know? I loved watching the Jiffy Pop blow up like a balloon on the stovetop! lol!

Thanks for stopping by my place! :)

5:22 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Wow! Those kids don't know what they missed, huh? I cudda changed their diapers, but I got out of the babysitting racket by then.

1:09 AM  
Blogger Paisley said...

I officially felt old when I was teaching and my freshmen were born the year I started high school and that was a few years ago...

A friend of mine was showing a co-worker his music demo that he made in college and he said that his headshot on it made him look like the lost member of Wham! and she had NO IDEA WHAT HE WAS TALKING AOBUT. Now, that's officially old!

:)

10:22 AM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

I was born in 1984, not too much before 1987, but I LOVE Mork and Mindy and we used to have a popcorn machine, it was awesome.

LOL.

3:09 PM  
Blogger N'j said...

I mentioned to some younger (mid-twenties) girlfriends about how music changed forever when I heard 2 Live Crew's 12" of "Hey! We Want Some Pu$$y" and they asked me..."What's a 12"?" That's when I realized that at 31, I'm officially old. Thanks for the reminder list.

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home