Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy Valentine's/Single-Awareness Day!


Who came up with this anyway? My family never celebrated the "holiday" when I was a kid. I remember getting a few cards from my parents and grandparents. Of course I participated in Valentine's Day parties in elementary school. I even remember in 6th grade my school started a fund raiser selling candy grams. For a quarter a kid could buy a sucker attached to a "card", sign their name and send it to a friend. The candy gram would be delivered by an office helper after lunch.

I remember sending candy grams. I sent one to each girl in our small clique (we called ourselves "The Darlings") and received one from every Darling. But the one I remember most was the one I sent to Chris. My first crush. I was so nervous. I didn't want anyone to know who I was sending the candy gram to. I quickly signed my name and quietly told the secretary the name of the person to send it to.

All day I worried. Worried that he would laugh at me. Worried that his friends would make fun of me. Worried that he would never talk to me again and not be my friend anymore. I was just worried. Until the next day when I was handed a candy gram after lunch. I opened it up and my heart stopped. It was signed, "Love, Chris".

I still have it. The red paper folded in fourths with a 1987 computer graphic of cupid on the front makes me smile and feel giddy. Valentine's Day isn't like that anymore. It's no longer a simple day to celebrate love. Hallmark cashed in. And everyone else jumped on the bandwagon.



Happy Valentine's Day!

(click on photos)

Some Valentine ideas for you...



Read this during dinner at a fine eating establishment...




Staying in? Try these...



A litte music.

And for desert...

(I know. But it looks like cheesecake with White Castle topping.)


My love is pure.
My love is true.
You can have my heart
and eat it too.





Gifts from the heart...








Or made with love...


Forget these? Don't sweat it.



Follow my advice and don't do this or this will turn into this!


For those of us who will not be celebrating Valentine's Day


Happy Single-Awareness Day
or Anti-Valentine's Day



Just because you're all alone doesn't mean
you aren't loved!

When you just can't take it anymore,
and you're sick of all the lovey-dovey...
remember why you're single to begin with!




For my four legged friends...





Hey there big boy!

Don't stop there. It's a Valentine's Picture Party!


For more Valentine's/Anti-Valentine's Day fun...
Check these out:

Find Your Love Match

Love Letter Generator

Trivia

Tips

What they say



Don't throw out your dead flowers or candy box... Make this or this for a never ending Valentine's Day gift!

And I found this when I googled "tacky Valentine's".


Single-Awareness Day:
Surviving Valentine's Day Single

Anti-Valentine's:

Anti-Valentine Cards (sorry for the language)
Anti-Valentine Poetry Contest
Anti-Valentine Guide to Survive Valentine's Day

26 Comments:

Blogger Moonchild said...

oh gosh how funny on the Anti Valentine cards... i just sent the link to like a million people, okay not THAT many but plenty of single pals.

1:22 AM  
Blogger novaks8 said...

I know!
You should have seen Target today!
There were like 25 people looking at the cards at one time.

I remember my 11th grade boyfriend giving me a HUGE card and a big box of candy.
He was so sweet.
I dumped him a few weeks later.

lol

2:07 AM  
Blogger Shelli said...

I love the chocolate body frosting. Yummy! The cute music thing was awesome, too! Happy Anti-Valentines day! Here's hopin' that next year you have someone special to celebrate it with.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Rachelle said...

Cute ideas. But the gummy heart has me just a bit freaked out. Don't think I'd want that one!

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Ardice said...

I love the pics and the links. I want some of that chocolate body frosting ;)
Have a good day. Take-Care...

11:36 AM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Oh that is hilarious. Ewww on the gummy heart by the chocolate body frosting--heck, I'd eat it straight from the jar :)

11:48 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Aww man, I'm addicted to anything "gummi". Love the heart thingy!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

What a great post! :) And that DID look like White Castle burgers on top of that dessert! ROFL!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Our highschool used to do a fundraiser kinda like that...only one of the substitute teachers was a florist, so we would buy carnations for each other. And any boyfriend who was stupid enough to not get at least one for his gal was promptly dumped that day! LOL

You may not have a valentine in your house... but you have all of us as valentines! We love you.

1:28 PM  
Blogger FrogLegs said...

LOL! Great post!! :) And that dessert, with the "burgers" kinda troubling. Lov ethe heart gummie- I might have to run out an dsee if i can find it for the kid!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Texas_Ivy10 said...

Great post! I loved the anti valentine cards... too funny! There server is overloaded with too many requests right now! haha

Chocolate body frosting.... yummy!

I hope you have a great day today! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Paisley said...

Happy Valentine's Day!!!!

You are so sweet and wonderful!!!!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

Happy Valentine's Day Kimmy...what a hoot. It's always a fun visit. My Mr. Wonderful is always very practical no frills kind of guy! Thanks for all the eye candy without the guilt!

2:10 PM  
Blogger jennifer starfall said...

i love the ex-boyfriend magnets!

thanks for the visit!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

LOL!! Ahh, can always count on your blog to make me smile! Happy Valentine's Day!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Ocean Lady said...

Happy Valentine's Day Kimmy! I've bookmarked alot of those links. I remember the gas station flowers. I loved them. :)

2:39 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

I loved the Letter Generator - thanks for posting it.

Happy Valentine's Day :)

2:41 PM  
Blogger amy said...

LOL! very uplifting. thanks!!

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Dariana said...

Oh wow! Not sure where to start, what a post! :-) The food items made me hungry, some of the post made me laugh, and all of it improved my V-Day spirit.

Happy V-Day to you and Jacob!

3:56 PM  
Anonymous colleen said...

That's quite a little one stop Valentine shop! Thanks for the wishes. I miss the kindgarten kind of valentines and I still like the candy hearts with messages!

7:17 PM  
Blogger HanktheDog said...

Thanks, Kimmy. An amazing collection. Happy Valentine's Day to you!

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Nicole said...

Talk about a one stop shop for everything Valentine's Day! LOL Thanks for the Single Awareness links too. What a great post. You have something for everyone. :) Happy Valetine's Day hun!!

11:17 PM  
Blogger Peri said...

wow, great post. I like the heart shaped pb & jelly sandwich idea.

1:01 AM  
Blogger The Movie Monkey said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Kimmy & Jacob (& Snickers!). I hope you had a great day.

TMM

2:35 AM  
Blogger frustratedwriter said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog! I've enjoyed reading this post and agree whole heartedly! Those simple days when Valentines were not commercial...sigh, those were the days!

8:56 AM  
Blogger frustratedwriter said...

Thanks for dropping by! Enjoyed this post immensely!

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home