Saturday, February 18, 2006

If It Ain't Broke...Don't Fix It!


Jacob and I are getting ready to watch "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" for the 800th time. It never gets old. My brother and I used to watch it over and over...on a BETA tape that my parents recorded off of Disney. The entire movie is embedded in my brain. Jacob laughs at me because I know the entire movie by heart.

I'll quote the lines or sing the songs...especially with the Oompa Loompas, but singing with Veruca is my favorite. "I want a feast..." Uuuhh, I love this movie! You can't beat an old factory full of candy surprises and orange faced, green haired men singing morals for all to hear.

Last year I was excited to hear Johnny Depp would be starring in the remake of one of my favorite movies, but it just wasn't the same. Not only were the oompa loompas just plain odd, but Johnny Depp's character freaked me out a bit. (Jacob likes them both, but enjoys the original the best.) Just can't beat Gene Wilder with his frizzy hair and top hat and off the cuff humor. Why remake a classic? You just can't. What's next "The Wizard of Oz"? I shudder to think...

Enjoy your evening. I have a kid to snuggle with and laughs to share. (And hopefully a chocolate bar, too.)





7 Comments:

Blogger Shelli said...

I liked them both, but I like the first one best.

10:33 PM  
Blogger novaks8 said...

Ha!
Did you see my Willy WOnka reference at the end of my meme today?

LOVE that movie!

He was freaking hysterical without ever cracking a smile.
THAT is comedy!

His little sarcastic comments throughout...hilarious.

And what a great moral at the end.

Yeah we love that movie.

11:40 PM  
Blogger stacey said...

I haven't seen the re-make yet, but my kids like it. I'm hesitant about seeing it because I personally believe Gene Wilder was perfect as Willy Wonka and I don't know if anyone else could play the role as well as he did. I love Johnny Depp, but I just can't envision him in this role for some reason...

8:17 AM  
Blogger Suz said...

I have to totally agree with you. The orignal is one of my favorite movies. I have it and have watched it numerous times. We also have the new version on dvd because my kids wanted it. Its ok to watch, yes love Johnny Depp but not in this and the new version no where near holds a candle to the old.

Hugs Suz

3:15 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I TOTALLY agree with you...I loved the first one and my kids had seen it several times by the time the remake came out...they were very excited and ended up a tad disappointed(as was I)

Its funny you said the Wizard of Oz...my 8 year oild daughter said, "If they remake the Wizard of Oz next I am not gonna go see it" right after she saw the Willie Wonka remake...LOL

11:39 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

I haven't watched the classic one since I was a kid, so I had forgotten enough about it that I did like the new one w/ Johnny Depp. I thought I wouldn't like it, but I was pleasantly surprised and did enjoy it.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Veronika said...

I'm with you on the fact that you just can't remake a classic.
We watch the classic ALL the time, too!
:)

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home