Monday, February 06, 2006

Monday Memories (#2)


Monday Memories: Did I ever tell you about the time I went skiing?

Ugh. Just thinking about it makes me sick all over.
I was 16. My friend, Brian, called and asked me if I'd like to go skiing with him and his girlfriend and his brother Jason. I remember very clearly the two thoughts that ran through my mind. Skiing? Why? But then I remembered...Jason! I didn't think any further.

I drove out to Brian's house to meet up with the gang. We piled in his car and headed for the lodge. Yakity yak. Yakity yak. I was having the best time sitting next to my love crush only kinda thinking about the skiing part.

We arrived at the lodge. They all rolled right out of the car into their ski gear as I stood watching like a big fool. I didn't have ski gear. I wasn't even smart enough NOT to wear jeans. C'mon.

My stomach started churning, and I began to regret the trip already. But they were all cool about it...of course they were my friends. They followed me to the Bunny Slope and where they made fun of me the entire time. (I said they "were" my friends.) I told them to go on without me, and I would catch up. I had some 4 year old butts to kick on the bunny slope.

I never did find the nerve to go after them. I was content with the bunny slopes. I was making some new friends. Until they came back after me. Brian encouraged me and gave me very few words of wisdom as I waited for the lift to scoop my butt up and take my legs right up from under me.

Ohmigoodness. I remembered just then that I was afraid of heights, but that was the least of my worries. The end was in sight. Literally the end. How was I supposed to get off that thing and make it out alive? I could get off too early and plummet to my death or get off to late and be forced down a steep forrest of trees. Instead I exited "perfectly".

"Perfectly" was the word Brian used. I just considered myself lucky. But then an even bigger problem awaited. How was I supposed to get down that mountain? Was that really the next step from the bunny slopes? No way!

I looked down and felt my stomach in my throat...just like I do now. I made it about half way down before I fell. I never knew how difficult it was to try to stand up on skiis. I didn't think it should be THAT difficult. But everytime I tried to stand up the skiis would slide away from me. And the snow was so packed it was more like skating on a sheet of ice...another thing I don't like.

After falling three or four times and having to use Brian or Jason to pull me up I quit. Right in the middle of the slope. People passed by bumping into us as we were literally in the middle. I told them to go on. I would get down on my own.

I managed to get down that mountain all by myself. I didn't need the hand of my beloved Jason. I did it all on my own. All on my bottom! Yes indeedy! I slid down the slope on my butt...jeans and all.

People looked at me like I was crazy. I felt like an idiot. I refused the many plees of my friends and stood at the bottom of mountain and watched them ski and laugh for hours while I froze my butt off...literally! (I love saying "literally" can you tell?)

Wait! It gets better! They finally decided to call it a night, er, morning, around 2 a.m. They wanted to stop for something to eat...I wanted to go home and thaw out. We stopped to eat...inside...with all the other hungry skiiers...who didn't get enough of my frozen wet butt on the slopes the first time.

Have I ever told you I hate to ski? Or sled? Or slide on the ice? But I love the snow!



Links to other Monday Memories
(If you participate, leave your link in the comments and I'll post it below)

Sarah

Running2Ks

OceanLady

Veronica

Uisce

Norma

Shelli

Joan




Click here for the Monday Memories code

Click here for Running2Ks blog


Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!



12 Comments:

Blogger LadyBugCrossing said...

Skiing isn't my forte either! Mr. Bug says I ski so slow that when you watch me from the bottom of the slope, you can't tell if I'm going up or coming down...

My MM is up
LadyBug

8:12 AM  
Blogger FrogLegs said...

Ugh- I like sledding, would be too afriad I'd break my first bone skiing... but I hate the snow! :)

9:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Darn, i didn't do a Monday Memory this week. Too much excitement I guess.

Iv'e never been skiing, and never want to try either!

9:19 AM  
Anonymous mar said...

We are skiers. All 3 of us plus extended families. Loved your memory anyways! now off to gather my skiing stuff since we are leaving on saturday for a week of skiing!.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Oh wow, I have never been skiing, and people try to get me to go. I think you have terrified me!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Ocean Lady said...

We're from where it hardly ever snows. Skiing sounds terrifying!!! Those are some beautiful snow pictures you have. I love the handprints!! :)

9:59 AM  
Blogger Veronika said...

The snow is awesome, isn't it? I love it, too. Sledding is my fav. I've never been as bold as you to try skiing!
:)

10:05 AM  
Blogger Norma said...

I'll bet you're not too fond of Jason, either. Great story. Well paced and interesting.

http://collectingmythoughts.blogspot.com/2006/02/monday-memories-did-i-ever-tell-you.html
My MM is up.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Uisce said...

I skied a lot as a kid, but it got expensive all of a sudden... oh yeah that was about the time I became a grown and had to start paying for *everything* well now I just enjoy being warm and dry, what can I say.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Shelli said...

Oh my word, Kim you make me laugh! Thank you for sharing that painfully (for you) funny (for us) story with us.

Thanks for coming by and reading aboutmy memory.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Joan said...

Love the story, Kimmy - you tell it well!

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was surfing the net loking for some alpine meadows ski school and I came upon your site and I was impressed by the quality of content you have. Keep up the awesome job. I will be bookmarking you right now.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home