Monday, February 13, 2006

Monday Memory (#3)


Monday Memories: Did I ever tell you about the time Jacob was curious about Marijuana?


For as long as I can remember I've talked to Jacob about drugs. Not only do I tell him, "Jacob, don't do drugs," out of the blue, but I also give him various reasons. "Once you start taking drugs you can't stop using them." "It's illegal." "It's not good for your body." "Drugs make your brain do crazy or scary things like hurt someone or yourself." "When your body needs the drugs to make it work right your brain forgets to tell you to brush your teeth or take a bath or eat or listen to God and Mommy."

Last year Jacob was interested in marijuana. Every now and then for a few weeks he'd ask me questions like, "Mommy, what is marijuana?" "How do you take marijuana?" I was thrilled he felt comfortable enough to ask me those questions, but I was so nervous.

Where did he learn about marijuana? Could I remain calm and not freak out? Will I educate AND scare him? Will I talk too much and ruin the next oppurtunity?

A few weeks later we were at a gas station. I noticed him studying a huge sign with pictures of cigarettes. He looked at me and pointed to two different brands of cigarettes. "Now, which one of those is marijuana cigarettes?" :p


Links to other Monday Memories
(If you participate, leave your link in the comments and I'll post it below)





Sarah

Running2Ks

OceanLady

Veronica

Uisce

Norma

Shelli

Joan

Ann

Jen

Courtney


Click here for the Monday Memories code
<
Click here for Running2Ks blog


Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!



18 Comments:

Blogger FrogLegs said...

Did you pick out a pack and say "it's those?" Good for you for talking to him so early- I do the same!

10:45 PM  
Blogger Norma said...

Sometimes our best plans and advice. . .get all screwed up in the kiddie filter. Great story.

Mine's up. http://collectingmythoughts.blogspot.com/2006/02/monday-memories-monday-memories-did-i.html

4:47 AM  
Blogger LadyBugCrossing said...

LOL!!!

LadyBug

PS My mm is up

8:07 AM  
Blogger Ocean Lady said...

I've heard that showing graphic pictures can create an impact. I've been drilling D alot about drugs and cigarettes too how they hurt people and other innocent people. I think it's great to always give the knowledge and being open and honest. :) Funny about the marijuana cigarettes. ;)

9:39 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Well, thank goodness they don't sell marijuana cigarettes at the store. LOL! Kids say the darndest.

12:03 PM  
Blogger HanktheDog said...

Very cute

12:29 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Prayers for your mom,

plus, it's great that Jacob doesn't know much about that stuff!

1:19 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

You never know what kid's think. do, or say next!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Isn't it funny when you figure out that they just didn't really "get" what you've been trying to tell them?

Thanks for stopping by, I'm going to go link you up, it might take a little bit, blogger's having issues today...

1:28 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

LOL funny story.

Mine is finally up too.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Paisley said...

I'm so glad you talk to him about this stuff!!! Too many parents don't. Hilarious that he is so educated on marijuana, but still doesn't really know what it is.

:)

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't you glad they don't sell the candy cigarettes these days? Imagine how confused he'd get then!

Thank you for stopping by my MM. I've already linked you.

8:25 PM  
Blogger monica said...

CUTE!

9:48 PM  
Blogger monica said...

CUTE!

9:49 PM  
Blogger Veronika said...

That's awesome that he can come to you about these issues!
Your mother is in my thoughts.
:)

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://ocsxdrdr.com/zdih/eabp.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://iovhfopl.com/bvls/ghpn.html]Cool site[/url]

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
My homepage | Please visit

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://ocsxdrdr.com/zdih/eabp.html | http://nwxmhkuq.com/jswn/cmac.html

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home