Thursday, February 16, 2006

Thursday Thirteen #7

Thirteen things about my baby brother...my only brother.
Michael Robert is 25 years old today!

1. I remember going to the hospital to see my brand new baby brother, and Daddy holding me up so I could look at him through the glass in the nursery.

2. One morning my mom went to take a bath. I tried to pick Michael up out of his crib (eventhough she told me not to). I finally got him out and dropped him...right on his head. I was so scared. I quickly picked him up and layed him back down saying, "Shhh shhhh shhh," while patting his belly. My mom ran out of the bathroom and asked what happened. "I dunno."

3. He used to steal this to play with. He'd always take the shoes off and put Ken's cowboy boots on instead. I don't know why.

4. He used to "check out" my cassette tapes . He could keep them for two weeks, and if he didn't return them he had to pay a late fee. I'd keep a log just like the library. ( I was a library helper during elementary school.) I don't think he really listened to any of them, but he liked doing it.

5. One year for Christmas we made a nativity using a cradle my grandpa made for me. We used this (with a bandana over his head) as Joseph, this as Mary, and this as Jesus. No joke! We even used these and other stuffed animals as wise men, shepherds and animals.

6. I used to lift Michael up with my legs to fly like Superman. One day we did it without holding hands since we were pretty good at it. Well, he wobbled, I started losing my balance, and my legs flew past my head. He fell forward and almost went head first into the television.

7. Sometimes my mom would leave $2.05 for us to get Hardee's biscuits and gravy for breakfast during the summer. We'd scrounge around for more money so we could have two orders apiece instead of one. We still giggle about that. Who wants just one little biscuit?

8. He couldn't wait for me to get home from morning swim practice during the summer so I could make him an egg sandwich. He loved those things.

9. We were in a hurry to get home after playing at the park. Michael was sitting on my bike seat (blue Schwinn 10-speed), and I was peddling as fast as I could to get us home. Just as I turned into the driveway I heard a loud thud. Michael was on the ground screaming his head off. His shoe string was caught in the spokes. I got him loose and hushed him as much as I could. "Shhhh Michael. We'll get in trouble. We're not supposed to trail on my bike. Shhh," as blood gushed from his face and legs. Like my parents wouldn't notice that!

10. One time (just once) my brother and I got into a fight. Who knows what it was about, but I huffed off to my room and shut the door. Next thing I know I can't open my door. He took string (that he used for his G.I. Joe guys) and tied it around my door knob and the door knob on the coat closet. The door wouldn't open. I got mad and started pulling so he started pulling. After several minutes (why did I need to get out so badly?) I pushed up against the door. Why? I guess to bump him off. After a few times of doing that my door opened...but it broke the door frame. Great! Now my parents were asking us what was going on. Nothing! So we both worked to "fix" it.

11. A few days before I delivered Jacob, Michael had a dream that he was holding Jacob and dropped him...and Jacob died. Michael refused to hold him the evening Jacob was born. My daddy carried Jacob over to him and reassured him he would be fine. Daddy stood right beside him the whole time. My favorite picture from that night (other than the one of me first meeting Jacob) is the picture of my baby brother holding Jacob so tenderly with tears rolling down his cheeks.

12. Michael was bored as Mom and I shopped for a new Easter dress for me. He would hide in the clothes racks or crawl around on the floor. The next thing we knew Michael was right next to us with a $50 bill in his hand. He found it on the floor when he was crawling around in the racks. He asked a few ladies if the money belonged to them, but they said no. My mom took him to the front desk where the manager told Michael if no-one claimed the money in 30 days he could have it. 30 days later...Michael had $50. And he gave it to the missionary at our church that week for VBS (Vacation Bible School). He was even interviewed by our local news channel after they got wind of his selfless act.

13. He also won a free trip from a contest he put his name in for at the fair. A man called and asked for Michael. My dad told him he was outside playing. The man said, "Well, I'm guessing he's not over 18." But he was nice enough to transfer all the information over to my dad's name.

Happy 25th Birthday, Bubby!

My mom and Michael sleeping. I love this picture.

My mom and Mr. Cool.

Kimmy and Michael Easter morning.
It looks like I'm squeezin' the poo outta him.

Michael Robert...the forever Curious George fan.

He's still scared of clowns.
Of course I bought him a clown card!


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

1. Killired
2. mar
3. Dariana
4. Mrs. Flinger
5. Owlhaven
6. The Idle Receptionist
7. Colleen
8. Frog Legs
9. Suz
10. Alison
11. D.Challener Roe
12. Jen's Horde
13. Amy
14. Paisley
15. Stacie
16. Craziequeen
17. Leesa
18. Chickadee
19. Lisa
20. Karen
21. Eric
22. Amber
23. Nancy
24. Sherri
25. Petite Mommy
26. Lisa
27. Nicole
28. Texas Ivy
29. Ginger
30. Courtney
31. Shelli
32. Lisa Inc.
33. Kim
34. Sassy Emily
35. PJ
36. Emily in the Peanut Wagon
37. Karin
38. Janne
39. Astrocoz
40. Ocean Lady
41. Virenda
42. Diva Jen
43. Joan
44. Lala's World
45. Lena
46. Goofy Girl
47. Jane
48. Caryn
49. Lindsey
50. Megan
51. Lazy Daisy
52. Keb
53. Uisce
54. Lala's World
55. Tanya
56. Froggie
57. Schooligan
58. Mental Excrements
59. Renee
60. Mama B
61. Trinity
62. Mommy of 4
63. Laura
64. Shash
65. Ruth
66. Norma
67. Ardice
68. Better Safe Than Sorry
69. Chickadee
70. Karri
71. Jeni
72. Rachelle
73. Megan
74. Libra Girl
75. Chloe
76. Stacey
77. Emily
78. Janet
79. Elle





The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



Visit Caryn at Novelist in Training for more Thursday Thirteen banners!

70 Comments:

Blogger mar said...

Have you claimed your blog at Technorati? I haven't and mine doesn't show up either. Lovely TT,great pics too. I assume there is only you and your brother in the family. Happy bday to your "little" brother! My TT is up.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

You have a beautiful family. I'm glad I stopped by. I'll certainly come back.

You know my Thursday Thirteen is up.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Scouser said...

Never thought of doing a 13 about my family, maybe sometime in the future. Thank you for visiting my TT

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Bug said...

Awe! Those pics are adorable! Happy TT and happy bday to the bro :)

8:34 AM  
Blogger Shelli said...

Kimmy,
I thought I posted something here last night or early this morning. Since I only got about 3 hours of sleep, I could have only dreamed it or something. Thanks for coming by my 13.

8:56 AM  
Blogger FrogLegs said...

Awww... what a nice one! :) My TT is up!

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Dariana said...

Great photos. Happy birthday to your brother and Happpy TT to you!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Uisce said...

I love the cassette library, LOL! And happy birthday to... Bubby! :) My 13 are up!

9:02 AM  
Blogger The Schooligan said...

Hahah. So funny. I am the oldest of four and we were always doing things that my parents would so not approve of. And someone would always break down and tell.

9:04 AM  
Blogger amy said...

aren't little brothers great? I have two good ones (at least most of the time).

my tt are up!

9:22 AM  
Blogger PJ said...

Little brothers can be fun, but can be a pain too. Nice post.

My TT is up

9:34 AM  
Blogger Karri said...

I love those pictures of him when he was a baby, so sweet! :)

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Chickadee said...

Oh my. I really, really, really enjoyed reading this post. What wonderful memories you have. I was especially impressed that despite the fact you got into a fight, you could work together to "fix" the doorframe. LOL.

I hope you show this post to him today.

9:43 AM  
Blogger novaks8 said...

Awww, you are making me cry!

What a great tribute.

I always wanted brothers and sisters (have half siblings but we didnt live together)

I hope my kids are all this close to their siblings in the future.

I love how many times you dropped him and such.
too funny!

9:44 AM  
Anonymous colleen said...

This is just the sweetest! It's got me choked up! I think it's a present and better than the clown card.

I'm playing too.

9:55 AM  
Blogger TheIdleReceptionist said...

Awww...what a cutie...

That My Buddy Doll took me back!!

Mine are up!

10:01 AM  
Blogger TheIdleReceptionist said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:03 AM  
Blogger owlhaven said...

cute! Thanks for visiting my 13.
Mary

10:16 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

awe! ...and my husband is still afraid of clowns too?!! ...go figure, these big strong men! :)

...my list is up:)

10:18 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Hey, I love the pics and the stories that I can sooo relate to!!

Thanks for visiting my TT!

http://pattonfamilymusings.blogspot.com

10:25 AM  
Blogger craziequeen said...

Happy Birthday Michael Robert.........

I am coulrophobic (scared of clowns!) too :-)

My TT is up :-)

cq

10:32 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I love my baby brother too! #2 LOL, #6 Ouch #7 yeah I want a big bite as well!! again #9 poor boy.#11 so sad. #13 YAY!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Better Safe Than Sorry said...

i don't even know what technoratti is.
happy birthday to your brother, i was going to say he sure does look alot younger then his pic, but i see you also put up an all grown up one of him. hope he had a great birthday!
i'm doing the 13 this week too.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Ardice said...

Happy Birthday Michael! What a great TT list. My list is up. Have a great day. Take-Care...

11:01 AM  
Blogger Norma said...

What wonderful memories and photos. Happy Birthday Michael.

Thanks for visiting my TT.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Shash said...

I liked going down memory lane with you, thanks for stopping my my TT list. Happy Bday Michael!

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Karin said...

What a nice way to celebrate your brother's birthday! :)

11:18 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Wow, what a great list of fun memories! It sounds like you and your brother have always been close...that's awesome! Happy Birthday to him!!!

My 13 are up
http://snaphappymom.blogspot.com

11:22 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Oh, and in regards to your comment on my blog...I've played video games, just not Playstation or Xbox LOL We play them on the computer, or the tv plug-in games, or my son's V-Smile. heehee

11:27 AM  
Blogger Lala's world said...

love your list you had my crying and laughing!!!
my TT is up too
http://insighttolalasworld.blogspot.com/

11:31 AM  
Blogger AlphaGamBran said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUBBY! I'm not far behind-AH! I'd like to add one thing to your 13 Thursday list. One time, when we were 5 & in Sunday School, Michael Robert decided he wanted the brown crayon so he told grandma and she took it from me (I was a great share-er) and gave it to Michael. HEH. ;) Love you!

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Karen said...

That is so sweet - sharing your feelings for your little bro! I have one little brother too and I'll NEVER forget the time he took all of his clothes off and sat in my Barbie pool. He left HUGE knee indentations in the sides (cause of course, he was way too big to fit inside) which left me with a deformed Barbie pool. lol I STILL torment him with that one.

Thanks for sharing him! And thanks for visiting my list, feel free to use my banner! *grin*

11:37 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

happy birthday Michael
very sweet!
thanks for visiting my TT

12:01 PM  
Blogger Paisley said...

So cute squeezin' the poo!!!! I love the gap in your teeth. Adorable!!

12:30 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Thanks for stopping by my TT.

Happy Birthday Michael!!! It's so wonderful that you have fond memories of your childhood with him.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Mine doesn't show up either... I always wondered if maybe you can't look up your own blog...but that seems silly too.

my 13 is up fefyfomanna: Thursday 13: Anniversary

1:09 PM  
Blogger Lena said...

I'm jealous! What an awesome relationship you have with Michael. It's obvious you chersh it.

Could that pic of your mom and he be more precious??

Love this TT Kimmy.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Happy Birthday to your brother!
Such a sweet list!

Happy Thursday!
Mine are up.
Diary of the Nello

1:23 PM  
Blogger Froggie said...

Happy Birthday Michael! Great list Kimmy! I loved reading about all your memories of your baby brother. Gotta love little brothers!!

Got my 13 up!

1:30 PM  
Blogger Mama B said...

Happy Birthday to your little brother!! Great post!

2:00 PM  
Blogger mommyof4 said...

Great memories. Happy Birthday to your cute! Brother. My TT are up.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Sounds like you and your brother have a wonderful bond! My brother and I do since we grew up making fun of my sister-the middle child!

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Caryn said...

Happy birthday to your brother! Sounds like you guys got along well. I cracked up at the cassette tapes checkout system you had. Wasn't it great to be the boss?

2:20 PM  
Blogger jeni said...

awww..that was GREAT!! it's funny, you call him bubby? i call mine bubba! lol!! now i wish i could call mine...but he's in training to go to iraq :*(

anywho...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROBERT!!
&
Happy TT Kimmy! :)

2:41 PM  
Blogger WendyWings said...

Your brother reminds me of Eva Longarias screen husband in DH !
What a great TT

My TT list

BTW make sure you claim your blog at Technorati.

2:53 PM  
Blogger AlphaGamBran said...

I was totally like-wow! three people read my blog only to find that all 3 comments were from you! hahahahahahahaha


maybe the brown was for bryant and in that case, i'll forgive him...it was 20 years ago...but alas, i think not! Too much fun to give bubby crap. Remember we always got yelled at for pestering each other "like brother & sister" hahaha

3:06 PM  
Blogger d.challener roe said...

Awwwww....


My 13: http://www.dcroe.com/blog.html

3:09 PM  
Blogger Rachelle said...

That was fun to read. I have my 13 up.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

This is one of the best 13s ever! I laughed, I cried! What a fun family!!!

(My sister and I broke a few doors in our day, too, oops!)

Man, I have some familiarity with your neurological issues, mostly from migraine forums. I wish you the best with them. I've fired a few neuros in my time, too, it took a while for me to learn that medicine is more of an art than a science and docs aren't all pretty much the same. Thanks for your comments, hugs to you!

I'll go link you up!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Flinger said...

Love seeing those old photos of way back when. Of course, I'll be looking back at photos of ME asleep with my baby on me and thinking, "HOLY CRAP! I WAS YOUNG! AND THIN! And..." you know.

Thanks for stopping by! Adding you to my list. :-)

4:03 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

That was a sweet post! I love pictures of grown-ups with their birthday cakes! Thnks for visiting my TT, too!

4:04 PM  
Blogger Ocean Lady said...

Your brother sounds very lucky! :) Happy birthday to him! What cute adorable pictures and stories!!! :)

4:16 PM  
Blogger Joan said...

I believe this is the most interesting TT I have ever read! i have a very clear memory of seeing my baby sister in the hospital nursery too. I loved the description of the nativity scene -- and that you made your little brother "check out" your books! Give Robert an extra birthday hug from your TT friends.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

How adorable. I have a little brother too. Hopefully your brother reads his tribute.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Finn said...

Aww. I feel all warm and gooey inside. Thanks!

Thanks for stopping by today.

As you know, my 13 is up!

4:55 PM  
Blogger Goofy Girl said...

Happy Birthday to your little bro!!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Libragirl said...

Thanks for visiting. Hope you enjoyed my TT. Strange how we both did them for birthdays. Since you came by, I linked to you as a TT participant

Hope you come back. I will be back to visit you.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Eemos said...

Happy Day of Birth! What a young scamp this man is. My link is http://eemos.blogspot.com.

It is a strong link. Your chain will not break with this link. At least, this link will not break. I cannot vouch for the link either directly preceding or following my link.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Eemos said...

Also, I love Snickers, and it pleases me to doodle. Your blog name is most awesome.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Awww... He's so cute! :)

People are finding you, Technorati or not, so don't worry too much!

Happy TT!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Cary said...

Awwww what cute pictures!!

Thanks for stopping by my TT.

8:28 PM  
Blogger stacey said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! This is a great list. I had to smile when I read #6--my mom used to do this to me and my brother and sisters when we were little...she called it the "birdie trick".

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Ficklechick said...

Great list, I love the pictures!!! Mine are up!

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Emily said...

What a great idea to do it about your brother! I really liked reading it.

My TT are also up.

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Janet (fondofsnape@gmail.com) said...

Your brother's a cutie! Happy Birthday to him!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

what a great TT! Those childhood memories we used to get up to with siblings!

9:11 PM  
Blogger Elle said...

I loved your #2. Especially as my daughter did the exact same thing with her baby brother!
Thanks for visiting my TT :)

10:40 PM  
Blogger Moonchild said...

Nice list. Hottie brother too....

12:02 AM  
Blogger Vera said...

it's nice to know that you and your brother have such a loving relationship---even if you've dropped him as a baby! hehe :)

Birthday wishes for him! :)

it's my first visit here and i'll be sure to come back. love your layout! :)

i have my first thursday thirteen here: http://verabear.bravejournal.com/entry/16972

4:35 AM  
Blogger Virenda said...

You made such an awesome list today kimmy, the memories you shared of your brother brought tears to my eyes and you described it perfectly. I honestly could picture it in my mind. It sounds like you and your brother are close and I can only hope my girls will grow up to be that close too.

Love your TT...

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home