Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Unbelievable


Have you heard the stories about Westboro Baptist Church protesting military deaths? At the gravesite? Read this. It makes me sick to my stomach. (I first heard about these protests at the funerals of local fallen soldiers. I just thought they were local idiots, but no... idiots are everywhere.)

My daddy (just recently retired after serving 34 years) has served overseas in Bosnia and Afghanistan. During those long months and years without him... scared every singe day he was in danger.... it was a difficult and heartwrenching time. But he came back home safe and sound. He came with stories I can't imagine. And those are just the ones he tells. Not the ones he keeps to himself.

He lost four men in his platoon to a land mine in Afghanistan. Two of those men he served with in Bosnia. Two were just babies. All of them had a family that loved them and lost them.

I can't imagine their pain. After the tragic accident I wouldn't allow myself to feel it. It was a selfish feeling. Thankful that it wasn't my daddy because he was in that area just days before. I wouldn't allow my mind to accept that the next time could be my daddy. Denial. The mind does crazy things simply for survival.

I can't imagine the pain those families felt when they heard the news or saw the coverage when the rest of the platoon came home. I can't imagine the pain they felt watching loved ones hug and kiss their soldier who returned home safe and sound to their family. I just can't imagine.

I can't imagine these people. These "Christians". Going around to military funerals and protesting. Holding signs that say, "Thank God for Dead Soldiers," just feet away from morning family members.

I can't imagine. Perhaps I don't want to. Denial is a powerful thing. But I am so thankful these people aren't stuck in the denial stage. Maybe they're in the anger stage, but maybe they're in the acceptance stage. Accepting that there are stupid, ignorant, hypocritical people that walk beside us proclaiming the love of my God yet doing the work of Satan. Accepting that horrible things are done everyday, but refusing to sit back and watch.

May the Patriot Guard Riders continue to grow in numbers and cheer loudly in SUPPORT of our fallen heroes and drown out the hatred and ignorance of the few that spoil the whole bunch. Thank you for your commitment and for your service to our military families. And a huge THANK YOU to our service men and women and their familiy members who volunteer to keep me free. Who keep me safe at home with my son. May God bless and keep you and your familily.

***Update*** A soldier whose funeral service is today... his family's home was vandalized. Eggs were thrown at the home. Nasty words were spray painted. A flying American flag was stolen. Unbelievable! This family is morning the loss of their loved one. A son and husband whose body was blown up by a bomb. And now they have to deal with this... at their own home while they were inside no doubt thinking of him. It just doesn't make sense.

I have failed to mention this group of "Christian" protestors are the same that protested after the miners died saying they "got what they deserved". They also protested at the Matthew Shepard trial.

25 Comments:

Blogger FrogLegs said...

Oh this infuriates me! I'm a military brat- my father served 28 yrs, and is now retired, but regardless of our own personal issues- I always respected what he did- still do. Always will. Shame on them! :(

9:28 AM  
Blogger novaks8 said...

You know what?
People are like sheep...sheeple if you will.
They jump on the latest bandwagon rolling by and bleat along with the other sheeple.

Right now the bandwagon is war protest.
I believe it is a carefully orchestrated movement trying to make sure a Democrat gets elected in 08.
Remember just after 9-11 if you uttered a sound against GWB you were liable to be attacked?
Remember the Dixie Chicks?

Now look at it.

Its all politics and people are too stupid to realize how they are being used.

I live in a town surrounded by military.
Camp Lejeune is like 40 minutes away!
I know a lot of military people and have never ever heard one word against the president or what they are doing in Iraq.
I trust our soldiers Kimmy.
They are the experts on what is going on and I trust their judgement.
Thats what I tell people when they start on the Bush bashing or war protest stuff.
I am so offended by these people dishonoring these brave men at their funerals.
They should be arrested.

wow...can you tell I feel strongly about the issue?

9:42 AM  
Blogger Shelli said...

It must be what Muslim's who are not extremists feel like when compared to those who take the lives of others in the name of Allah.

It made me sick to read that article, too. Also when I looked at the photo of the people holding signs, I noticed that there were children among them. How nice that they are teaching their children hatred, anger and disrespecting the dead.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Paisley said...

It's amazing how some people get so closed minded in their opinions that they can't see how they are affecting others.

I may not necessarily always agree with the decisions our country makes, but I will always respect the soldiers, the fallen and their families.

Reminds me of the nasty protesters at the Matthew Shepherd trial.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Lisa M. said...

I admit, I didn't read the article. I don't have to, to know what I would feel. Uck.

I agree with the other posters.

I too trust the American Soldiers. I know many and I love them.

Oh may we find some peace and unity.

And someday, these *people* will know the ill they have caused... of that I have no question

11:06 AM  
Blogger Katherine said...

That is just sick and disgusting. I don't know how people can be so unbelievably cruiel! It breaks my heart. Even though it would be easier to not know that this is going on, thanks for sharing. I think it is so important that people know there are individuals doing this kind of thing so they rally around and support military families.

11:26 AM  
Blogger novaks8 said...

I want to do a little backtracking regarding my comment earlier...

I shouldnt have said people are stupid for going along with war protests and such.

This is their right.
If they truly believe what they are doing is right then who am I to call them stupid?

I was upset.

I just feel it pretty personally because of all the military people I know and love.
If THEY don't protest and moan and gripe...why should anyone?

I also don't believe in bashing the leader of our country no matter how we feel.
Rational intelligent debate? sure
But the crap that goes on these days would be considered treason in days gone by.
I think it teaches our kids great disrespect for government and that is not a good thing.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Mama B said...

OMG! That is horrible! I know how you feel, my husband served in the military for 22 years and I'm proud of what he did for our country. Any yes, there were those times when we didn't know if he'd return home to us or not. We just had faith.
I feel for the families. What is this nation turning into?!?!

12:16 PM  
Blogger naive-no-more said...

Kimmy, thanks for visiting my site. Thought I'd stop in and check you out. Your whole blog is a scrapbook layout! It's fun. I'll be back!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

That is insane! It's just so hard to imagine people being so horrid...these families have lost enough and in no way deserve to be treated so maliciously. It breaks my heart.

These people have the nerve to call themselves Christians? It shames me...I hate when people commit such horrible crimes in the name of God...a loving God who would never condone such violence and hate.

It seems that once someone gets on a bandwagon for something, it's hard for them to imagine themselves in the other person's shoes. If only people could learn to live by "the golden rule"...so much of the heartache in the world could be avoided.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Suz said...

That just makes me sick. How can people act this way. How can they do something like this nevermind do it so close to a fallen soldiers family.

Something should be done about people like this. Its just so wrong!

Hugs Suz

2:14 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

You know, I don't get that either. How do they call themselves christians?? Did you know they (or another church) protested the funerals for the W. Virginia miners? That's ridiculous!

2:21 PM  
Blogger jac said...

this just makes my stomach churn. i don't know what's worse, the things they do, or the fact they truly believe they are acting in a "christian" manner. God help them all.

thanks for writing about this.

michele sent me.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

I totally agree. I don't know how anyone can be so horrible. It makes me sick. They have no right to call themselves "christians".

3:05 PM  
Blogger Marv said...

Thank god for dead soldiers???OMG!!! i can't believe it! i agree..idiots everywhere....where's their brains, of course if they even have one.
I don't like war and wished we never have one, but I highly respect the men and women who have sacrifice their life so that we can have our freedom here!!!!!
Those people just acting like @ss!!! <-- it has became my favorite word i'm afraid, thanks to all the idiots out there!

3:51 PM  
Blogger Marv said...

That is....ohhhh!!!! makes me furious. I'm not all that patriotic myself, but i highly respect the women and men who have serve this country so that we can have the freedom...
they do not deserve anything like that.
those people just acting like @ss!!<-- this has became my favorite words thanks to all the idiots out there!!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Virenda said...

I can not stand people who do things like this. They pretend to stand up for what they believe in and the only way they can do that is by tearing other people down, by being violent and by committing hurtful and ignorant acts.

I feel so very bad for those families.

~sigh~

I don't care how anyone feels about the "war" when it comes to human life being taken, when someone dies, than it's time to just be respectful of that persons family and their grief.

I just can not even understand why people would do something like that, the self-righteousness astounds me.

3:55 PM  
Blogger monica said...

I get REAL angry when people do this in the name of God. It's right up there with people who kill abortion doctors. There is no justification. You don't have to agree with war or our president but my gosh, respect your fellow HUMAN.

We are called to love, plain and simple.

Kdubs

4:55 PM  
Blogger LeighAnn said...

People can be unbelievable!

So sad.

I am going to put you on my site, if it is ok.

5:30 PM  
Blogger YellowRose said...

These people say they are "christians" well...saying you are a Christian is different from BEING a Christian. These people have nothing to do with Christianity...they have everything to do with hate and that is not of God.

The Patriot Guard Riders are to commended for taking the high road and showing dignity and honor to our fallen soldiers.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Ficklechick said...

That is absolutely unforgivable! I wish they would consider that Treason and go after whoever did it!

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Susie said...

Stuff like this makes me want to explode. The disgust and disbelief that boils within me are hardly describable.

It's simply and monstrously evil.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

This really touched my heart. I thank God and ask him to watch over our soldiers every night in my prayers. I cannot believe stuff like this. What is wrong with people?!

10:28 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

horrible horrible people and all in the name of God....THAT'S NOT JESUS!!!!!
These angry, feeble minded,ignorant dregs have come to our area last year to steal happiness from families celebrating their children graduating from high school because of a RUMOR!!! Their coming back this spring again to harass CHILDREN!
This is not Jesus!!!!
Can you tell I despise them?
They are sick, sick, sick!
They also protest miners' funerals too saying they got what they deserved.
God have mercy on them because I find it hard to.

1:02 AM  
Anonymous upcoming playstation 2 games said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my upcoming playstation 2 games site.
Have a great day!

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home