Sunday, February 12, 2006

A Woman of True Grace


Michelle Kwan gracefully bows out of what is presumably her last Olympics due to a groin injury...one of several injuries that continues to haunt her and cloud her Gold Medal dream. Tearfully she announces she withdraws from the competition and passes the torch to Emily Hughs. Emily is the younger sister of 2002 Olympic Gold Medalist Sarah. Emily, still in the states, has nine days before competition begins.

Michelle states, "I wish I was here in better circumstances. When I first put in my petition, I said I believed I'd be 100 percent by time the Olympics came around. But yesterday, after going on ice and feeling stiff... I don't think that I can be 100 percent... I respect the Olympics too much to compete, and I don't feel I can be at my best."

Michelle is a beautiful and graceful skater. She skates with passion and expresses herself and the music like no other skater. She captures everyone with her poise, grace and style. And it's apparent by her generous actions and unbelievable composure during an incredibly difficult time in her life (and with some insensitive questions from reporters) that she is just that off the ice as well . She's Olympic Gold to me!

With the words Peter Ueberroth, chairman of the United States Olympic Committee, "Michell Kwan means more to the United States Olympic Committee than any athlete that's ever performed for the United States Olympic Committee. She's been a leader. She's been gracious, and she is a real loss to all of the United States Olympic Committee, to the United States of America, and I think to the world. And she's made a courageous decision."

3 Comments:

Blogger It's a FLIP-FLOP World said...

I feel sorry for Michelle, but she is a good sport and that is so important anymore. Something that you do not see as much as you should. I am glad to see that she tried but when she saw that she could not perform as she thought could,she bowed out gracefully. Good post

2:25 PM  
Blogger novaks8 said...

Awww
Sad for her but it shows what a love she has for the sport by bowing out.

3:19 PM  
Blogger FrogLegs said...

I was wondering the other day, and when I got up this morning saw this. Kudo's to her for making the right choice on such a hard decision...

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home