Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Snickers had surgery Monday. We were finally able to pick her up last night. Jacob and I missed her so much. (I missed her just a tad more. Well, just because she's with me 24/7.) I was so sad for her being locked up in a cage all night not knowing what's going on... Not knowing why she's by herself, why she's got a lampshade around her neck, why her butt hurts, why she can't keep her eyes open, why that Rotweiler's wearin' a tutu. You know. Things like that made me sad for her.

The surgery... she had to have her anal glands removed. Yeah. Apparently they can live without 'em. (That's a question I have when I get to heaven... if we can live without an organ why do we have them? Like men and their brains or in other cases their heart. AND... why can't I just have something wrong with an organ THAT CAN BE REMOVED? I think God will see the humor. Don't you? :p)

So her anal glands weren't emptying like they were supposed to. Instead they kept filling up to the point she couldn't poo for weeks at a time. And the pain was so bad she had to scoot around on her butt. It was awful! She'd scoot and cry and move her head from side to side biting the air. Awful! But mildly entertaining for a girl who never leaves her house ;) She had to have the anal sacks expressed every few weeks. Yeah. She USED to LOVE the vet. Now she just likes to poop in the front yard. Take that lubed glove man!

My daddy drove us over to the vet's office to pick her up. All three of us were on the edge of our seats waiting to see Snick. Amazing how one little animal can touch a heart and change a life! The vet called us back and explained everything (even the $222 shoulder x-rays they had to do because she's walking funny on her front right leg). He told us what a wonderful dog we have and how they all enjoyed having her (Yeah I know. Give 'er back! And can you knock a few $500 off the bill?). Then he hollers for the girl to "Bring me the anal glands we saved for Snickers' mom!" Yeah. He saved them. And showed them to me like I was interested. Turns out...I was.

We looked at the glands for more time than I care to mention. Those suckers were huge! Grossly huge. Then we walked out to pay. The bill was grossly huge as well. $909.64!!!!!! Yeah. I would get the dog with poop problems (Crohns and IBS run in the family) and brain problems (we believe her right leg is nerve related. Could be related to her seizure disorder.) This dog fits right in. I wonder if I could get her covered under my Medicare disability insurance plan. Hmm..

Anyway... She's fine. She's wearing the Elizabethan collar. And crashing into everything because she's not smart enough to remember she has a lampshade on her head. I'm so glad she's home ;)

(Yeah. I hate my kitchen wallpaper.)


(Her food gets pushed back behind the lampshade, and she can't get it. Yeah.
We've had a lot of laughs over this. Poor doggie!)


(I think she's telling me off!)

I don't know why I feel the need to show you after surgery pictures. But here's her naked monkey butt. ON.MY.NEW.COUCH!

20 Comments:

Blogger Paisley said...

What a cutie pie! I'm glad she's ok.

No kidding about the organ removal thing. I'd like a few removed...or replaced. Can I have new intestines? Pretty please?

Sounds like you are feeling better! Keep us updated!!!!!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

Aww, she is so cute! I'm glad she's OK. I'm absolutely lost without my dog so I can relate. My dog has had to have his anal glands expressed a lot so I may have to talk to my vet - had no idea you could get them removed!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Glad her surgery went fine, and glad she's back home with you! I had no idea anal glands could be removed! And TOO FUNNY that they saved them for you! LOL

1:20 PM  
Blogger novaks8 said...

Boy, I just HAD to click didn't I?


How are you feeling?

1:51 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Awww... I am glad she is okay. Poor thing.

I freaked when I had to have my cats front claws removed. I DID NOT like leaving them alone in a cage all night at the vets. Poor things.

It's funny how quickly animals become parts of our "family" isn't it?

You sound like you are doing better. Keep us updated!

1:53 PM  
Blogger mommyof4 said...

AWW poor puppy! Now you have a recovering buddy:) Hope you are getting better:)

2:08 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

YIKES...poor pup! I didn't know anal glands could be such a pain the a....ooops..LOL Glad she's home where she's loved! Stacie

2:53 PM  
Blogger Reverberate58 said...

The poor thing, and you must be feel much better! Yeah we become attached to our pets and do what we have to for them. Not sure if I could talk hubby into that kind of vet bill though he has helped with smaller ones in the past.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

i'm glad she's back with you!!

i hope she continues to improve. :)

how are you feeling kimmy? better i hope?

3:40 PM  
Blogger michele said...

What a cute poochie,she'll be back
to her old self soon.
Stop by for a visit.

4:15 PM  
Blogger LadyBugCrossing said...

Hey!

I have that same wall paper in all of my bathrooms. I hate it, too!

Glad your baby is home and feeling better.

LBC

5:01 PM  
Blogger Rachelle said...

Glad your dog is ok! My pup is one of the family too. I hope she recovers quickly!

5:04 PM  
Blogger AlphaGamBran said...

Yeah Snick! Totally gross pic of her shaved rear end...;)

5:31 PM  
Blogger Marv said...

oh gosh..those butts =b
he's so cute with the lampshade LOL!!!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Virenda said...

Ewww naked butt on a couch! :0) Vet bills can be so expensive. SIGH. She's such a lovely doggie and so pretty and sweet. I feel an AHHHHHHH coming on. I'm glad you have her back and hope that this week treats your whole family better.

Hope your feeling better!

7:56 PM  
Blogger Pink Chihuahua Princess said...

Poor Snickers! Those lamp shade pictures made the chihuahuas hide under the bed for hours. :) hehe.

I sure hope that you guys can go this next week without anybody in the family having to have surgery! What a silly vet you have my dear, even your internet friends know how special little Snicks is. We don't need to pay a few thousand bucks to hear it. :)

I hope you are continuing to feel better!

8:53 PM  
Blogger Chana said...

Ahhh poor doggie. He's part of the family alright so of course it's hard..I'm glad it's over though and your friend is on the mend...Hellos and hugs to you and Jacob. I hope you are feeling a bit better....

BTW very funny post (sorry doggie), thanks for making me smile.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

She is so cute. When Nikki had a irritation on her nose, she had to wear that collar. I call them satellite dishes. We didn't get HBO though. Shucks!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Maribeth said...

I have to do Greta's anal glads about every two weeks. It keeps them from getting too full. But I always worry about infection and impaction. Hugs to Snickers!!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Goofy Girl said...

Awwww she looks so cute with her little collar thing on!

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home