Monday, May 29, 2006

A Day of Remembrance

Most of you have noticed my absence, and I thank you for the well wishes and emails. Y'all know it's bad if I don't post a Friday Funny ;) But there is something greater than my pain, and I can surely sacrifice a few moments on the computer...

As the daughter of a recently retired war vet (who lost four brave men in his platoon while deployed in Afghanistan one year ago) and granddaughter and niece and cousin and sister-in-law and friend of every branch of service in the U.S, it behooves me to memorialize the fallen this Memorial Day. No matter your opinion of the war or your political stance... millions of young (and old) brave men and women volunteered for a job I could never do. Millions volunteered to fight for MY freedoms. Millions said good-bye to their family and friends never to return home again. Millions will forever be remembered on this day and always for their courage and strength and honor and beliefs in freedom for one and all.

I have been blessed to have every soldier in my life return home. Though their bodies have returned, a part of them is gone forever. The memories... the images... the lives taken... those painful memories cannot be taken away or comforted. The memories of war will haunt them forever. The memories of saluting a fallen soldier's boots, rifle and helmet will never leave their thoughts. The feelings of guilt when they hug their loved ones knowing some families will never have that chance again. May they forever know our gratitude and feel pride and honor for all they have endured.

They shall grow not old
As we that are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them . .
Nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun,
And in the morning,
We will remember them!
-- Lawrence Binyon



I pray that our Heavenly Father
may assuage the anguish of your bereavement,
and leave you only the cherished memory of the
loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours,
to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of Freedom.
-- Abraham Lincoln, November 1864









War drew us from our homeland
In the sunlit springtime of our youth.
Those who did not come back alive remain
in perpetual springtime -- forever young --
And a part of them is with us always.
-- Author Unknown




Do not stand by my grave and weep ... I am not there;
I do not sleep.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush of quiet birds
circling in flight.
Do not stand by my grave and cry ...
I am not there. I did not die.
-- Royster






18 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

A beautiful, beautiful tribute to all those who have served and have sacrificed for freedom. Bless you.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Libragirl said...

Those are some powerful pictures. And I agree with Susan, a wonderful tribute to all who sacrificed something for us to be able to be free.

3:09 AM  
Anonymous Lifecruiser said...

We don't celebrate Memorial Day over here adn don't have that memories, but never the less I find it very educating to read about it. Especially seeing photos too. I can feel tha pain though...

7:12 AM  
Blogger LadyBugCrossing said...

Amen!
LBC

8:46 AM  
Blogger FrogLegs said...

Wonderful.

12:11 PM  
Blogger ...jus me said...

Very touching tribute Kimmy! My Dad was in Korea. My husband was in during the Iran Hostage. I thank God for all the men and women who have served or are serving in our armed forces protecting our freedom.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Chana said...

what an amazing post hon. what a wonderful way to honored them. i'm so glad that you have had all of your soldiers come back. i'm so sorry for all the families that are not so fortunate. i think you did a great tribute and i can just say: Here, here!

Sorry that you are hurting...always holding you in my thoughts and prayers...and of course in my heart...

Hugs..

1:39 PM  
Blogger Cheerio's on my butt? said...

Soo touching. Thank you for that message.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Marv said...

i don't like the wars that are going on, but definitly those do not stop me from paying tributes to these heroes!!!! without them, i don't know if I will still be able to sit here and type and blog!!!
great post!
hope you get better soon ^^

7:23 PM  
Blogger Tiredawg said...

Awesome, simply awesome. God Bless Happy Memorial Day. Peace, Dawg

8:52 PM  
Blogger Bar Bar A said...

This is amazing...thank you so much. I am the daughter of a WWII Vet and I also lost a cousin in the Viet Nam War.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Reverberate58 said...

Very beautiful and touching post! Thanks for taking the time and sharing!

8:46 AM  
Blogger stacey said...

Kimmy, this post is beautifully written and gave me goosebumps. The pictures are very powerful and moving. I think it's very important to take time out and remember those that fell for our great country.
Thanks for sharing this.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Thank you. That was very touching. I love memorial day for this reason. We ought to be remembering these wonderful men and women every day.

7:21 PM  
Blogger jarhead john said...

Great post and a fitting tribute.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Virenda said...

You made me cry...

10:41 PM  
Blogger Chaotic Mom said...

Thank you. I'm so glad I came across this post today.

2:33 PM  
Anonymous business auto insurance quotes said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a business auto insurance quotes site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Greetings.

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home