Thursday, August 17, 2006



Thirteen things about my week:


1. My baby started 5th grade yesterday. Unbelievable.

2. I watched him step up in the bus for the first time this morning... and felt my heart drive away.

3. I received a call yesterday afternoon from the after school program Jacob used to attend. "Kim, this is (what's her name) from (such and such). I'm calling to tell you Jacob did not show up after school. Please call us back as soon as you can." Jacob started giggling. He'd been home almost 30 minutes. I was confused (surprise!), but pleased they called checking on him. But now I'm worried they're going to charge me. :)

4. Jacob attended the before and after school program from his very first day in Kindergarten. A branch of a local day care has this program in all local elementary schools. We loved it! There were four women. A woman and her three daughters. Barb, the mom, worked at the school as a custodian when I was a student there. I loved her. I was so glad to have her caring for my Jacob.

5. These four women became a huge part of our lives. They nurtured Jacob through 9 of my brain operations, two of his Papaw's deployments overseas, and his mamaw's surgery and recuperation last year. They are strong, loving christian women. We love them like family.

6. The last day of school last year was their last day for the before and after school... it was our last day as well. That's why Jacob's in the 5th grade and riding the school bus for the first time.

7. He enjoys the bus, but he misses Barb and her daughters!

8. Snickers, our Fox Terrier, is really sick. She's been itchy/scratchy for months.

9. We've tried everything... anti-histamines, prednisone (which has damaged her liver, skin, vision), strict prescription diet, etc. (I think that's why she was dumped at the pound where we adopted her.)

10. She had a skin test which showed severe allergies. Let me just start by saying the girl's not right... She's allergic to cats, feathers, cows, horses, wool, insect dander, all weeds, all trees, a lot of flowers, DRY DOG FOOD (the mites that live in dry dog food)!!!!!!! What?

11. I'm giving her an anti-histamine trial... 8 different anti-histamin packs... one pack per week for 8 weeks. I have to monitor and document her every move. I have to fill out a form every.day. Ugh! Like I feel well enough to do that! How selfish ;)

12. Since she's ALLERGIC TO HER OWN FOOD I have to give her prescription canned dog food. 1.5 cans a day. A case (24 cans) costs $48.97. 46.5 cans (31 days worth) equals $63.25 a month. Ugh! Thank God she's a "small" dog! PLUS approximately $500 every month or so for antibody injections... that she'll need for the rest of her life. I might just make it a short one. Joke. Just a joke. She's my little princess. Dumb dog.

13. So far I've sent in an order of 44 bracelets and 11 t-shirts... a total of $372 for Brains for Baylie!!!!! (click the link to read more about Baylie and her bracelets... and order some while you're there ;)

Matching T13 banner courtesy of Nello Design!

Visit Thursday Thirteen.com for the T13 code and all things T13 related!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




Get the auto-link thingy here!

21 Comments:

Blogger Courtney said...

Hope Jacob continues to like the bus. My son will ride the bus for the very first time next Tuesday. Poor Snickers, hope the itchies go away soon. That's a lot of money.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

wow i can't b elieve i'm here first! usually by the time i get here there are like 40 comments!

poor snickers!!! i hope that you can find something to help him, preferably something less expensive than that dog food!!

my 13 is up, too.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Poor snickers! I have dealt with a allergic dog...did the prescription dog food...but he was a 200lb newfie. Ugh!

I have enough of a probelm believing my baby is in 3rd grade, I can't imagine 5th!

My 13 is up!

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Mrs Lifecruiser said...

Wow, this was a real personal touch. Thanks for letting my have a peek into your life.

You're a good writer.

SOMERSET MAUGHAM once said:
"There is only one thing that Im sure of and that is that it is very little you can be sure of".

But I say: you can be sure of Love, if you want to. All you need is love, which you seems to have plenty of :-)

Best wishes for everything which needs to be solved in your life.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Peri said...

wow, nice that you had so much support!! Poor pooch!
Happy TT

1:47 PM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

I love your site. I love this song! And your # 2 ... tore my heart out.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Carmen said...

Allergic to her own food? geesh. I hope she feels better.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

WHOA! That poor dog...sounds like she is getting some royal treatment. :)
That's hilarious that the after school care called.
My TT is up!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Kendra said...

oooo how they grow up fast. And the dog, hmmmm sounds pretty expensive for a pet. Happy Thursday!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Southern Girl said...

Ugh, my brother and SIL are having to feed their Lab prescription canned dog food -- four cans a DAY. I'm worried they won't be able to afford the baby they're about to have because they're putting it all into the dog! ;)

Thanks for stopping by my TT!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Minerva Jane said...

oh the first day of school--so scary and exciting at the same time!

4:04 PM  
Blogger AnIowaMom said...

Our first day of school turned out much better than expected ... no assigned seats on the bus! Whoo Hoo ... hope your second day on the bus turned out just as well. :)

Thanks for visiting me today!!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

WOW ... how do you do it all? Hope you and your doggie find a place of wellness and peace. And that your heart will come back from its place on the bus because Jacob will need it later (the heart and even perhaps the place on the bus!).

Thanks for stopping by snarkypants! Have a good day.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

They grow up so fast. DD is due for her first test/eval this year. Fingers crossed that she doesn't freeze up.

Thanks for visiting the garden.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Awwww...they DO grow up fast, don't they? My youngest just started 2nd and the oldest just started college! Hard to watch, but exciting all at once. Sounds like you have quite a support network!!

My TT is up!

8:12 PM  
Blogger FrogLegs said...

You are a good person- about the dog. I would be... much more heartless... Yay on #13! WAHOOO! I'm so curious about the bracelets.. but.. I want something to where people can ask me, and I say" yadda, yadda, yadda." 5th grade?! Wow. I'm having issues with 2nd grade (starts in a couple weeks), I will be so sad for 5th grade. :)

8:42 PM  
Blogger ...jus me said...

Kimmie, how are you able to pay for all the dog stuff? My poor pup had to be on prescription canned food when he had cancer, but didn't have the $500 antibody treatment to go with. Just prednisone! Sorry hon!
Can't believe Jacob is growing up so quick. Guess he is the same age as my grandson. They do grow up so quick!

11:35 PM  
Anonymous kristarella said...

Wow! I hope some of the meds work your your doggy. Sounds like your son is doing well, yay!

11:51 PM  
Blogger Leanne said...

Man I couldn't imagine having a dog that's more allergic to stuff than we are! Like you don't have enough to do, God blessed you with a distraction, that's for sure! You're taking good care of her, and I'm sure she knows she's loved.

5th grade. Man they grow up fast don't they?!

Thanks for stopping over, it's always good to see you!!

Hugs!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Shelli said...

That is awesome about Baylie, Kimmy. You are so selfless for doing that for her and for Snickers when I know you are hurting and/or not rich.

8:29 AM  
Blogger C.A.Marks said...

Great list. Well, except for the dog thing and how much money it's going to cost. I hope she feels better.

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home